How a 33-year-old survived marital abuse to become a stunt artist

Geeta Tandon jumps through glass, drives cars and bikes at breakneck speed and sets herself on fire, for Bollywood divas. The 33-year-old has acted as a body double for the likes of Aishwarya Rai, Alia Bhatt, Parineeti Chopra and Sneha Ullal. But her action-filled life was not always like this. There was a time when she was struggling to restore her respect and dignity at her in-laws house. When she looks back at her life, all she sees is a dark past. And she hopes no other woman has to go through what she had to.
Subjected to brutal marital violence, Tandon was in her early 20s when she left her in-laws house along with her two children. "I was married at the age of 16," she says, "I was always taunted for not giving them any dowry. This taunting even led to sexual violence. It was a nightmare. I was treated as a servant and someone who my husband would use as a punching bag."
When Tandon could not take it any longer, she left her husband's house and was forced to fend on her own. "At that point of my life, my priority was to earn a living and feed my children. I did not care what work I was getting but made sure that it was respectable enough," she says.
"I had no time to get trained. I decided to get hands-on-training. My first assignment, shot in Ladakh, involved setting myself on fire. I sustained burns but that did not break my spirit. I eventually started enjoying my work. I could associate myself with all the action," says Tandon.
Only a smattering of women step forward to choose the career of a stunt artist in India. Despite training, most of them opt out of several stunts, especially those that involve handling a vehicle. Tandon proudly says that she can drive and ride bikes. She recently did a car chase scene for Aishwarya Rai's movie Jazbaa.
"Joining Bollywood as a stuntwoman was never my dream," she says, "It was the necessity to earn a living and make something out of my life. It took nine years of struggle and injuries to achieve this present. Being a single mother of two children, I was earlier looked down upon by society. But today, I get respect and appreciation. The friends of my children look up to me and often tell me that I inspire them. At times, I think, it is indeed a blessing in disguise," says Tandon.
Being a stunt artist, it is of utmost importance to make sure that she stays fit and healthy. Along with regular workout and yoga, she ensures that she is eating the right stuff.
Tandon says, "To perform as a body double during stunts in a movie, it is important to stay as fit, and pay equal attention to fitness, as an actress does. I follow a strict diet and take timely meals. The moment I feel I can see that little paunch I go on a strict diet. Eating heavy breakfast is the most important meal of the day."
After nine years of struggle, Tandon says that she finally has a dream. In fact, she wants to accomplish three goals.
"I looked at this profession as just a means to earn money. Eventually, I found my passion. I want to be a stunt director. At the same time, I want to open my own fitness training institute, and train people at affordable prices. I have realised that we do not have well equipped and efficient fitness training centres like the ones abroad. "
Tandon also wants to make sure that no woman who has met torture in her matrimonial life or has been ousted by the family for pursuing the career of her choice is forced to live on the streets.
"I want to have a residential institute for women so that they not only get shelter but also get motivation to stand on their feet," she concludes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New UGC rules permit third-party agencies to accredit higher education institutes

Valla Sadhya

Bangladesh: Govt takes up Ashrayan-3 project to shelter Rohingya refugees